Friday, July 23, 2010

1k-a-day Day 23

Day 22 word count: 1042
SS current word count: 62 599

LI current word count:
WS current word count:


I worked my 1k in amongst a lot of reading time. I finished Shannon Delany's 13 to Life. Shannon is a fellow Class of 2k10 author and she writes about werewolves. How fun! I had the honour of meeting her during our 2k10 NYC / BEA tour in May. She's not only a great author, she's one heck of an organizer and all round fire cracker. ;) I also picked up my copy of Linger by Maggie Stiefvater and will start on it today. I adored Shiver (the first in the series) and can't wait to sink back into the dreamy Sam and Grace world. If you haven't seen the trailers or experienced the music Maggie makes - go here now!


Now, I know some authors who specifically avoid reading titles within their genre for fear of being influenced - a valid point. But I'm the opposite. Here I am working on my next werewolf story and the were / shifter genre is what I'm keen to read. I admire how other authors tackle the tough parts of writing shifters - you can only use the words "snort" or "growl" so many times. I become aware of what is cliché and how to twist those clichés within my own story. Plus, I'm reading books I'd be fawning over even if I wasn't a writer. I just love these tales.


Day 22 word count: 4,612
Parlor current word count: 23,918
WD current word count:

Despite starting late in the day, I got a lot done yesterday as you can see! Not every single word in that count was new, but it seemed like I touched each whether I moved it, rewrote, deleted or added to it all. It was actually one chapter that was long and a lot of info is crammed into. I'm glad I got it finished and I'm happy with it (or semi-happy) so I can not worry about it tomorrow while at Comic Con.

I hope everyone has a great day! Don't forget to post your word count. I will be posting the book up for grabs later today/tonight! Good luck everyone!

2 comments:

Tammy Blackwell said...

Wow! You girls were on top of things yesterday! Awesome!

My total: 820 words. I'm getting close to one of the scenes that I've been looking forward to for a while, so I must push on!

And LINGER is great. I loooove Cole. He's so... yummy.

Unknown said...

Well, I'm up to 13,472, which isn't terrible, considering the hideous writing week I've had. Plus, I keep getting distracted by all the awesome books that have come out recently including Linger and Forget You (Jennifer Echols).

But I'm on it today & hoping to add a bunch to my word count.

Have a great writing weekend!