Friday, November 28, 2008

Things to be thankful for in writing

Since it is Thanksgiving weekend here in the US, I decided to write a list of what I’m thankful for as far as writing is concerned. The normal list is the typical. I’m thankful for my family, friends, job and house. But I wanted to put a spin on it and thought I would include links to the writing websites and blogs I’m most thankful for.

  • First off, I’m thankful for my writing crit group. I know my post last week was about how great you are, but I just had to say it again. You guys have helped me more than you could ever imagine. So, Tracy, Tess and now Kitty, I thank you.
  • I want to thank all the people who have been participating in our 1k-a-day challenge. It's been a bumpy ride for me, but you've made my November fun. My husband also thanks the winners for the books that you have chosen from my bookshelf. I thank you for making room for more!
  • Thanks to all the people who read our blog every day. To all the lurkers out there, please comment more often. It lets us know you're out there.
  • Thanks for all the agents and editors who blog. You've taught me so much about the industry that I would never know otherwise. Here's a list of a few that I read daily:
  • Miss Snark- Though she no longer blogs, I used to check this daily...and sometimes more. All of her posts are archived and tagged. I'd recommend reading them for industry information. This is a no bullshit look at the publishing industry from an agents POV.
  • Pub Rants- Agent Kristin Nelson of Nelson Literary Agency. This blog is amazing. She gives good pointers and has great stories about her clients and the industry in general. She will give updates to what different houses and editors are looking for. I can't say enough about her blog.
  • Janet Reid, Literary Agent- This blog is exactly what's advertised. She explains the ins and outs of her daily life as a Literary Agent. Love when she talks about queries she's gotten recently and what went wrong with them (of course she doesn't tell you too much about it, but just enough to get the point across).
  • The Knight Agency- This blog combines agents who work at the Knight Agency. Love the news and info they give the reader as a whole. If you want more detailed look at certain agents, there are links on this blog to each agent's personal blogs.
  • Et in arcaedia, ego- This is Agent Jennifer Jackson's blog. Love the question and answer posts, as well as the info regarding queries.
  • Writer Beware- I know I've said this about almost every link above, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE this blog and can't say enough about it. When doing research into publishers/editors/agents, check this site first. They uncover the scams and more. Excellent.
  • I'm thankful for all of the author's blogs who let me into their writing life. These blogs make me laugh on a daily bases. Best of all, I know I'm not alone when I sit down at my computer and stare at the blank screen. Here's my list of favorites:
  • Meg Cabot's Diary- Hilarious on a daily bases. She doesn't talk a ton about writing, but I love her pop culture talk.
  • Ally Carter- I've loved watching her career grow. I started reading her blog from the start. It's amazing to watch the comments go from a few a day to now in the 50s +. Her books are great (if you haven't read the Gallagher series, you must) and her blog is just as good.
  • Jennifer Lynn Barnes- Another YA author who's career has grown before my eyes. Amazing to think she's still in her early to mid 20s.
  • Sarah Dessen- one of my favorite YA authors and my favorite YA author blog. She posts every day (Monday-Friday) and give her readers a glimpse into her writing and even normal life. I love how down to earth she is.
  • Megan McCafferty- I love her book recommendations and even her daily chatter about life. The great thing about this blog is her retro blog posts where she shares her journals from her early career. I could get sucked into this blog for hours, even days.
  • Wolfy Chicks- I'm not just including this one because they are my critique partners. I love the interviews with YA authors. Great job, girls!
  • E. Lockhart- Great blog all around. I love that she gives props to YA authors with reviews and interviews.
  • Maureen Johnson- This blog has to be tied with Sarah Dessen's as my all time favorite. I LOVE Maureen Johnson's books and I LOVE her blog. She makes me laugh so hard I almost pee my pants. I love the rambling nonsense of each post and love when she posts hilarious videos.
  • There are a ton more author blogs I read, but seriously, this post is getting long. Perhaps I'll continue with the YA author blog roll at another point.
Those are just a few blogs I'm thankful for. I'll do a part 2 soon! I still have to share the writing sites that I love, as well as the message boards I frequent. I hope you enjoyed the insight into my daily internet surfing.

What are you thankful for in writing?

3 comments:

Fran Caldwell said...

I've just started my own blog - one posting only so far. The journey of an unpublished writer through the maze of information to final publication.

My confidence is high!

I so appreciate your blog and will follow it with interest.

Tracy Belsher said...

Great post, Tami - I've been to a few of those sites and agree they contain fab tips and insider info. I'll be checking out the new-to-me ones and looking forward to more.

Tami Klockau said...

Thanks Fran! We love to hear from our blog readers. I'll check out your blog. :)

I'll be doing a Part 2 soon. There are a ton of great blogs/sites that I left out for writers and readers!

Thanks Tracy! Yeah, these blogs are awesome! I check most of them out on a daily basis.