Monday, September 20, 2010

More Classics to Dig Into

I loved Tami's post challenging herself to read some of the classics. I've always enjoyed classical lit and have read my share, although I likely missed half of the "heavy" themes...lol... Still, I soak up the language, the stories and the characters.



My favs (I'm not sure if they're technically classics, but I consider them to be so):



Wuthering Heights

Jane Erye

The Odyssey

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

A Christmas Carol

Persuasion

The Scarlett Letter

The Portrait of a Lady

Crime and Punishment



And because I write pararnormal fiction, I'm drawn to classics with a sci-fi / fantasy bent. Some are a bit more modern examples:



Frankenstein

Dracula

The Island of Dr. Moreau

Gulliver's Travels

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

A Clockwork Orange

The Chrysalids, Chocky, and The Day of the Triffides - John Wyndham ROCKS!

A Wizard of Earthsea

The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Tell-Tale Heart and other Poe stories

Around the World in 80 Days

The Birds



Between Tami's list and mine, we have a few bleedovers, however, I'm keen to dig into the titles we've listed and either revisit or discover new favourites. Tami - I recommend we both start with Frankenstein. ;)

2 comments:

Tami Klockau said...

Frankenstein it is! That will be out October classics read. Thanks so much for doing this with me Tracy! It's easier to motivate yourself when someone else is joining along. I will be starting Frankenstein October 1st (or when I finish the book I'm reading at that time).

Hayley said...

One of my favorite classes in college was Victorian Sci-Fi and Fantasy Literature...we got to read Dracula and Turn of the Screw and the Island of Dr. Moreau and all that fun stuff :)

Great list!