Friday, December 4, 2009

I Won...I Need a Vacation!


If you feel like I do, you are happy you finished NaNoWrimo but are a little tired. After writing 50,000+ words in the month of November, the last thing you want to do is write some more. Here's the catch. If you want to be a published author one day, or already are, you know that you can't just stop. Sure, breaks are healthy and much needed but when the book is fresh in your mind, now is the time to finish it!

Think of NaNoWrimo as draft zero. Draft zero you ask? Why not draft one? Well, if you go back and read what you wrote during those 30 days, you will understand. At least, for me this is the case. NaNoWrimo is such a marathon, it's hard to get 50,000 words that are useful out of it. The way I look at it, I now have a great block to build on. My draft zero will make my first draft all that much easier!

Through the last month, I have realized what will work and what won't from my original idea and synposis. I've learned what my characters are all about, the good and the bad. The picture is clearer, my characters can now stand alone with pride, personality and a voice.

Despite throwing away a lot of words from November, in the end, it will make my novel better. I hope you all feel the same.

For those who didn't hit 50,000, don't worry. It isn't so much about the amount of words, it's that NaNoWrimo got you to put your butt in the seat and write SOMETHING. Even if you wrote a few thousand words, perhaps that is a few thousand more than you would have. If it helped you with your story, than it was worth it!

So, congrats to everyone! Take a few days off and rest, but back to the grindstone before you lose your momentum! Oh, and for the record, I wrote 50,109 words (or 50,112 in Word) and a few chapters away from finishing draft zero! :)

6 comments:

Tracy Belsher said...

CONGRATS! Yeehaww! I knew you could do it, Tami. ;) How did our other YAedges do I wonder?

Leona said...

Congrats!

My official word count was 64009 and towards the end of the month I was sure outlining to make sure the story worked lol but I have a good story and need to strengthen the main character. It's told in omniscient POV, at least that was the aim, and she got a little overshadowed.

Leona said...

btw I blogged 30 blogs during nano for anyone curious about what its like http://pizaseven@blogspot.com

It was a crazy month!

Tracy Belsher said...

Leona, that is crazy. :) But you survived. And you have a brand new baby draft!

Leona said...

No kidding on the baby drafts LOL I have another 30k at least that I have to add. And that's not even taking into account the way I usually roll. (You know taking out about 2k for every 15-20k written during the editing process) Writing a book in a month isn't that difficult for me. It's the editing process that gets me tied in knots!

Good job on the 2k10 site :) You two have been helping me to become more and more aware of the YA as a genre. Really, the only books I read that are even halfway modern was the harry potter.
Although, I do still read the classics -A Wrinkle in Time, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Anne of Green Gables, etc. So I'm not a total lost cause LOL

In fact, you have inspired a story that is cooking in my brain like for a YA steam punk. I may never attempt to publish it and its still in the planning phase, but it was something I had no idea about until reading this blog, so thanks again :)

Tami Klockau said...

Congrats Leona!! I was impressed all month with your word count and productivity! With the craziness of life, you showed me that anyone can do it!

Thanks Tracy! :)